From Safer nicotine wiki
- Our results regarding anticipated reactions to FDA e-cigarette flavor regulation suggest complexities such that the benefits and risks of flavor ban need to be carefully evaluated.
- A majority anticipated that they would personally attempt to circumvent potential FDA regulations of e-cigarettes by obtaining e-cigarette flavors from various illicit sources (e.g., Internet orders from foreign countries) or even self-making flavors.
- The use of flavoring agents purchased from unregulated sources could lead to additional unanticipated toxicities.
- It is also concerning that some established e-cigarette users believed that they would return to cigarette smoking if nontobacco e-cigarette flavors were banned. Thus, for adult e-cigarette users who use certain flavors to facilitate smoking cessation or reduction, banning all nontobacco flavors could precipitate relapse to smoking.
- PDF Version
- Citation: Ann Am Thorac Soc Vol 17, No 5, pp 573–581, May 2020, Copyright © 2020 by the American Thoracic Society, DOI: 10.1513/AnnalsATS.201906-472OC
- Acknowledgement: Supported by the National Institute on Drug Abuse of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Center for Tobacco Products of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) (P50-DA-036107) for the Penn State Tobacco Center of Regulatory Science.