From Safer nicotine wiki
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) - Information from NAMI
- Is ADHD a mental illness?
- Mental illness is a very broad term. It refers to any type of condition that affects a person’s behavior, mood, or thinking.
- Technically a mental illness, few practitioners use the words “mental illness” to describe kids with ADHD. They tend to refer to it as a “behavior disorder.” Some might even refer to it as a learning difference that can affect all areas of learning.
- The difference between ADD and ADHD
- A more accurate definition of ADD/ADHD is that it's a neurodevelopmental disorder. Viewing it as a "behavior disorder" is stigmatizing and misleading. People with ADHD are not making a choice to behave differently than NT people.