Nicotine - COVID / SARS / ARDS
Studies, Surveys, Papers, and Case Studies
- Sometimes it's necessary to view the PDF version to access the full study.
- This page is for referencing the possible benefits of Nicotine in the battle against COVID / SARS / ARDS.
- If you'd prefer someone else to add a study to a topic, there is a subject section called "Suggested studies to add to this page". You may put the link in that section for one of the regular page editors to address.
- PAGE EDITORS - Please only add Studies, Surveys, Papers in this format to keep page consistent for all viewers.
- Year (list new to old) Name of Study (In link format to the study)
- Note here if animal study (leave blank if not)
- Brief Summary
- Link to PDF Version
- Acknowledgements (funded by, helped by)
Suggested studies to add to this page
Threads about COVID on Twitter by @phil_w888
The results of preprints & peer-reviewed studies describing the relationship between smoking and SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 are reported in this thread
A compilation of preprints, peer-reviewed studies, and datasets documenting SARS-CoV-2/Covid-19 patients' smoking status - only the ones with at least 1000 patients.
- Thread on twitter
- Thread on twitter
Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT)
2020: Nicotine-replacement therapy, as a surrogate of smoking, and the risk of hospitalization with Covid-19 and all-cause mortality: a nationwide, observational cohort study in France
From February 15, 2020 to June 7, 2020, hospitalization with Covid-19 occurred in 647 patients (151 patients in the nicotine-replacement therapy group and 496 patients in the unexposed group). Results In the first analysis, 297,070 individuals without major smoking-related diseases exposed to nicotine-replacement therapy were matched with 558,228 unexposed individuals without major smoking-related diseases. In the main multivariable analysis, nicotine-replacement therapy was associated with a decreased risk of hospitalization with Covid-19 compared with unexposed individuals. Nicotine-replacement therapy exposure was also associated with a decreased risk of intubation or death in hospitalized individuals with Covid-19. (13 vs. 73 patients).
2020: How nicotine can inhibit cytokine storm in the lungs and prevent or lessen the severity of COVID-19 infection?
COVID-19 positive patients who smoke are more often asymptomatic or exhibit less severe respiratory symptoms than non-smokers. The macrophages, which are directly infected by the SARS-CoV-2 virus, may drive the cytokine storm in the lings. Stimulation of macrophage ACh receptors by nicotine inhibits pro-inflammatory cytokines production and inflammatory response. The nicotine use may lessen or eliminate ARDS in the smoking COVID -19 patients.
2020: Characteristics and risk factors for COVID-19 diagnosis and adverse outcomes in Mexico: an analysis of 89,756 laboratory–confirmed COVID-19 cases
COVID-19 patients were disproportionately older, males and with increased prevalence of one or more comorbidities, particularly diabetes, obesity, and hypertension. Current smokers were 23% less likely to be diagnosed with COVID-19 compared to non-smokers.
- Click on the category link below for more studies by topic on Nicotine.